Terms of Travel
Rights of Passengers – Regulation (EC) No. 181/2011 Note! Link to pdf document
The links below contain Swebus travel conditions:
Access for disabled persons
Delays/Travel Time Guarantee
Comfort On Board
Power Points and Internet On Board
Car Booster Seat
Times and Prices
Access for Disabled Persons
Do you have a disability and plan to travel with us? Contact our customer support at email@example.com or call +46 (0)771 218 218, and we will endeavour to help you as best we can.
Group and company sales, call +46 (0)771 218 218 for information.
Everyone who travels on our buses must be able to present a valid ticket. Drivers are always obliged to check the validity of tickets and ticket numbers. Payment is to be made in advance. In this context, 'ticket' either refers to the printed document with an associated ticket number, or just the ticket number and verification to support the right to any discount.
Tickets are purchased on the internet: www.swebus.se or by telephone: +46 (0)771 218 218, or from a Swebus agent. A current list of agents can be found on the website The ticket is to be kept during the entire journey; ticket inspections take place regularly. If a passenger cannot present a valid ticket during an inspection, an inspection fee of SEK 800 is currently charged. The same applies for passengers who travel at a discounted price, but cannot verify their right to the discount.
All tickets are valid for travel without a stopover. The ticket number must be presented when boarding and changing buses. Changing buses can, in exceptional cases, also occur during direct travel. The ticket number is a ticket, and is to be kept/treated as a valuable document. Lost or misplaced ticket numbers are not replaced. Unused or partly unused tickets are not refunded. It is not permitted to pay in parts for a journey with a card belonging to a cooperation partner. It is the passenger's responsibility to check that the information on the ticket/confirmation corresponds with the route, time and date booked. Alighting and boarding must be done at the booked stops.
Choose an appropriate ticket depending on whether you are a child, young person, student, adult or senior citizen.
- Adult (26–64 years)
- Children (0–15 years, up until the date the child reaches 16 years of age)
For safety and comfort reasons, children are to have their own seat. Tickets are to therefore be purchased for all children regardless of age. Children travel with a discount of up to 20% on the adult price on selected departures. Swebus does not take specific responsibility for children – the child's guardian or parent is responsible at all times.
- Youth: (16–25 years, up until the date of reaching 26 years of age)
Travels with a discount of up to 22% on the adult price on selected departures. The passenger must be able to prove his/her age
- Students: A passenger with valid verification from Studentkort, CSN, Mecenat, Membit or SJ's temporary certificate travels with a discount of up to 22 % on the adult price on selected departures. Discounts are also valid for international students with ISIC and IYTC cards. A valid card and identification is to be carried during the entire journey to support the right to the discount. Swebus accepts the most common Norwegian and Danish student cards.
- Senior citizens: Senior citizens or early retirees travel with a discount of up to 20% on the adult price on selected departures. Proof of the passenger's age (over 64 years) or proof from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) is to be carried during the entire journey.
A service charge is added at all sales outlets:
On the internet and via mobile phone: Five per cent of the cost of travel
Personal service in shops and by telephone: Twelve per cent of the cost of travel
Tickets cannot be cancelled or rebooked without supplementary cancellation or rebooking protection, see below.
Supplement your ticket with cancellation protection. With cancellation protection, your ticket can be cancelled up to one hour before departure.
- It is only possible to purchase cancellation protection at the time of purchasing the ticket. For tickets purchased later than two hours before departure, cancellation protection cannot be purchased as extra.
- In the event of a cancellation, the cost of the ticket only is refunded and not the cancellation protection.
- With cancellation protection, tickets can be cancelled up to one hour before the journey's departure.
Supplement your ticket with rebooking protection.
- The rebooking fee is not refundable
- Tickets with rebooking protection can be rebooked up to one hour before departure.
- Rebooking protection is sold at the time of purchasing the ticket and up to two hours before departure.
- In the event of rebooking, a rebooking value is created which is linked to the ticket number
- The rebooking value can then be used to purchase a new ticket
- The rebooking value cannot be used to purchase a ticket with cancellation protection
- The rebooking value can be used to purchase one or more journeys, although only on one occasion.
- If the new trip is more expensive, the customer must pay the additional amount. We do not repay the difference if the new trip is cheaper.
- The rebooking value is valid for 90 days after the travel date on the ticket. For example, if the ticket's travel date is June 1 and the trip is rebooked on May 1. The rebooking value in this case is then valid for 31+90=121 days from the point of rebooking.
Special regulations exist for routes outside of Scandinavia, routes 902 and 920
Note that SMS tickets are not a valid ticket only printed tickets are allowed. Note that on routes outside of Scandinavia, children/youths under 16 years of age may not travel alone, and must be accompanied by an adult. The driver has the right to turn away passengers under 16 years of age. Always have a passport or other form of identification available. In the event of any delays, we refer you to the relevant bus company's travel time guarantee.
Special regulations for Airport Transfers, routes 866
- Rebooking and cancellation protection cannot be purchased from ticket machines.
- Alone travelling children need to purchase a youth ticket.
- If you choose not to travel on the booked departure, you may travel on other departures within 90 days subject to availability. Tickets purchased in ticket machines are not booked on specific departures.
- The 10-card applies on all days on selected routes.
- The low price 10-card applies Monday–Thursday and Saturday.
- The card is valid for 60 days, from this point any remaining trips are no longer valid. Unused travel is not refunded.
- The card is not personal.
- Only one place per departure can be booked.
- Free cancellation up until departure. Travel that is not cancelled will be charged.
- Travel without booking is possible if space is available on the bus.
Please note that the Swebus 10-card cannot be purchased with already deposited or recently deposited value from a Swebus account. A 10-card is paid for using one of our payment methods on the homepage.
Ticket for reserved places
- Standard ticket, customer number for the 10-card, or personal identity number.
Ticket for non-reserved places
- Customer number for the 10-card or personal identity number if this is registered at the time of purchasing the 10-card.
Total luggage weight permitted per paying traveller is maximum 25 kg. The maximum value of the luggage may not exceed 15% of a Base amount (SEK 42,800 for 2011). A maximum of one bag may be taken free of charge in the bus luggage compartment. Fragile luggage must be well packaged.
Normal practice is for two (2) bags per traveller to be allowed on our routes to Sälen, Idre, Orsa, Trysil and Kungsberget, which are placed in the bus luggage compartment (plus ski bag and ski boot bag).
One (1) smaller item of hand luggage per traveller may be taken. The maximum dimensions for luggage inside the bus are 40x30x20 cm.
For safety reasons, no luggage may be placed in the central bus aisle or by any exits. Note that Swebus does not accept responsibility for valuables or cash which are kept in the bus luggage compartment.
Luggage may not be taken that is of a dangerous nature or that can cause considerable inconvenience, such as explosive and flammable objects and fluids, poisonous, infectious and corrosive substances, and weapons. Bulky items such as bicycles, skis etc. may be taken provided that the luggage is properly packaged and does not damage the luggage belonging to fellow passengers. For example, bicycles are to be packed with the handlebar rotated a one-quarter turn, and the peddles removed. The air in the tyres is to be reduced or emptied of air. The best solution is to pack your bicycle in a bike travel case. It is not permitted to bring furniture along. Bulky luggage is always counted as extra luggage, and a charge applies.
If a child ticket is purchased, it is permitted to take along a pram in the bus luggage compartment at no additional cost. In order to protect it, it must be packed in a plastic bag or other form of protection. No objects other than the pram itself can be placed in the plastic bag. Rollator walkers and wheelchairs may also be taken at no additional cost.
Swebus is not liable for damaged, missing or stolen luggage. In the event that Swebus has caused damage through gross negligence or intent, Swebus is liable in accordance with the consequences of applicable law and the general principles of law.
In the event of damage, we refer to the passenger's own insurance. It is the responsibility of the passenger to mark his/her luggage with name, address and telephone number. When alighting, check carefully that the right luggage is taken.
Special regulations luggage airport transfer (routes 866 and 867)
For our airport transfer routes (866/867), we allow a cabin bag with maximum dimensions 55 x 40 x 23 cm inside the bus, space permitting. Note however that this only applies if space is available. The driver decides whether the bag is permitted on board based on how many travellers are on board.
The bag must be placed on the floor in front of the seat, or alternatively on the adjoining seat with the safety belt fastened. For safety reasons, no luggage may be placed in the central bus aisle or by any exits. Note that valuables or cash may not be kept in the bus luggage compartment.
If luggage is misplaced or left behind, passengers can contact Swebus by telephone on +46 (0)771 218 218. Swebus is not liable for lost property. In the event of left luggage, Swebus reserves the right to charge for freight, dispatch costs and cash on delivery, when the customer requests his/her left luggage be sent to their home. (Please note that the customer must also pay for any customs tariffs for crossing country borders).
In addition to the luggage included in your ticket according to our general luggage conditions, it is possible to purchase additional luggage. Additional luggage follows the same regulations as general luggage. Show your ticket to the driver in order to use the product. Extra luggage can be booked before departure (usual cancellation/rebooking rules apply).
New travel conditions valid from 2016-04-01
When our bus is delayed, it depends on the distance weather the passenger is entitled to compensation or not. Note that Swebus commitment applies to the distance traveled i.e. the entire line route in our own traffic (does not apply when the traveler bought an additional trip with another transport operator). Please also see rules in connection with cross-border traffic at: Border Crossings.
For travel up to 150 km, the following price reduction is applicable on the ticket price:
1. 50 % of the ticket price if the delay amounts to more than 20 min
2. 75 % of the ticket price if the delay amounts to more than 40 minutes
3. Full ticket refund if the delay amounts to more than 60 minutes
For journeys over 150 km, the following terms apply:
For delays of more than 50 minutes, passenger is compensated with one (1) free one way ticket equivalent to the journey applicable at the time of delay. The compensation is granted in the form of a credit account.
If the delay is more than two hours, the ticket is totally refundable and a credit account equivalent to the journey applicable at the time of delay.
The credit account can be used to purchase a new trip with Swebus.
It is the personal responsibility of all passengers to familiarise themselves with the regulations regarding passports, visas and customs regulations between the countries. Swebus has no obligation to wait for passengers who are taken in by customs officials for control and, where applicable, customs inspections. These passengers are referred to the next scheduled bus.
The following rules do not apply to guide dogs. Guide dogs may be taken on board, and do not need to be kept in a cage.
- A ticket must be purchased for your domestic animal
- A maximum of one cage per traveller
- The cage must be able to fit on the seat
- The cage must be placed on the seat nearest the window next to the traveller
- Travellers with cages must be seated at the rear of the bus
- The cage must be fastened with the seatbelt (note that buses do not have belt extensions)
- The animal must remain in the cage during the entire journey
- A protective cover for the seat is the responsibility of the traveller
- Snakes/spiders/poisonous animals are not allowed
- It is the responsibility of the owner to have the correct documentation if the animal is travelling between different countries
- Domestic animals are only permitted on routes run under our own management. Our partners do not permit domestic animals (routes: 901/902, 920, 993/994, 950 and 966)
The driver has the right to refuse travel if the above conditions are not met, and if the animal is an inconvenience to other passengers (e.g. noise level).
All passengers must be at the stop at least 10 minutes before departure in order to have time to pack in their luggage, and keep their guaranteed seat. Swebus only stops at the bus stops listed on the timetable. It is not permitted to board or alight from the bus at other places.
Comfort On Board
Smoking is not permitted on any of our buses, including the toilets. Mobile phones, laptop computers, mp3 players etc, may be used on board. However, always show consideration to other passengers. On overnight buses, many travellers want to sleep and have a quiet environment. Please respect this. The driver has the right to turn away anyone who disturbs their fellow passengers.
It is permitted to take and consume food/drink/coffee/sweets on board the bus on condition that it does not inconvenience other passengers. Passengers are expected to leave their seats in good condition. The consumption of alcoholic drinks is forbidden.
Power Points and Internet On Board
In Swebus-owned buses, there are always electrical power points and internet on board. During certain periods, most often Fridays and Sundays and heavy travel weekends, we need to use subcontractors. Some contractors cannot guarantee that electrical power points and internet will always be available on board.
For purchased priority boarding, you must be present at the boarding gate/bus stop at least 15 minutes before departure, otherwise the product is no longer valid. The product entails that you are part of a limited group who are permitted to board the bus first. The order for boarding is based on when travellers arrive at the gate/bus stop (first to the gate=first to board). Listen to the driver's call, and show your ticket to the driver to take advantage of the product. Can be booked, rebooked and cancelled up until one hour before departure. Passengers with disabilities have priority for the four places furthest forward.
Child Booster Seat
The child booster seat applies to children from the age of four years (15–36 kg). The booster seat is approved according to ECE 44/04 group 2–3. Show your ticket to the driver in order to receive the product. Can be booked, rebooked and cancelled up until one hour before departure.
Times and Prices
Current information on times and prices is available on the Swebus homepage at www.swebus.se, or via telephone sales at +46 (0)771 218 218.
In the event of a complaint, the relevant ticket or ticket number for the journey in question must always be enclosed. The complaint must be submitted to us no later than three months after the journey in question.
Click on the link below to see our latest updates about potential traffic disturbances, plus information about other issues such as temporary changes to bus stops, roadworks etc.
For traffic information